Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

The Invisible Chains - Part 3: Bonds of Blood - Andrew Ashling Listen to my fangirl squee. Oh, this was late in coming, but AHMAGAAAAAWD.Hmm...something weird... Is Tarno or isn't he a separate entity? Like, DID? Hard to tell; it's abstractly vague on that...I think Tarno is much more a separate entity of sorts then Ehandar admits. Even Randamor admits, maybe. I know how Anaxantis sees Tarno as a separate being from Ehandar and how Randamor, in his telling, kind of implied that Tarno really was separate, but also could have been implying that Tarno became a bigger deal to Anaxantis than he thought. It wasn't that, though. I think there really was some sort of compartmentalizing within Ehandar's mind. I'm not saying full-out DID, but there definitely has to be some kind of fundamental change going on other than just "I'm doing this because I'm so damn devoted to him that I'll pretend for his sake." I think the "Yes, master" as he was falling asleep was a big tell for that (that Tarno wasn't just an act but was a legitimate mental shift of some sort) but it was more than that. It was little things. His obsessive need to clean. The symbolic shaving. The author even gives hint to that, switching between the names Ehandar and Tarno as appropriate. And the different ways of referring to Anaxantis. (Ehandar: little brother. Tarno: master //I mean in the narration, of course.). But not even that. Even the ways they treat Anaxantis is different. I get why Ehandar would think that "You're a smart little devil. Yet, you are wrong. So wrong. There never was another. There never was someone called Tarno. It was all me. You split me up so you could hate one part while keeping on loving another. And all you wanted was to be safe and be loved back. All the time you were only looking for that, and in doing so you hurt yourself. I was not the only one kept prisoner by invisible chains."But honestly, Ehandar's got his dissociation going on. The rest of it wasn't bad. Quite good, actually. It was just this part that really bothered me because I felt like after all this shiz, he should be over the delusions...The analogy with the plaster figurine was amazing. Insightful, revealing, full of depth, and multi-dimensional. Ehandar can be compared to both the shepherd and the dog, which makes it all the more poignant.Wow. Tarno=woof? That's actually...well, in the present light of things, with the relief I felt, it was actually quite comically endearing... Correction, Tarno=Dog.Likewise I'll refrain from rating if/when I ever actually read this.But hot damn. The ending. Ashling really does weave a complicated web of characterization and character intent. Who is right - Anaxantis or Ehandar? Is Ehandar the one who split off into Tarno or did Anaxantis perceive a split into Tarno for his own sake? Mayhaps, even it's a bit of both.Either way, I can't wait until the next one...