Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

A Dish Served Cold - Andrew Ashling It was good, and then it got...annoying. I think it was the pseudo-new report of the "gay affair" thing at the end. I mean, at first the seeming subplot was interesting, but then it quickly got...seemingly pointless.A random revelation came to me. What happened with Timmy. It's exactly what the captain dude of the BIS said. The K├╝bler-Ross model for the five stages of death. He said they can usually get them to stage 3 and 5 if they're allowed to do their job fully or something. I think they got Timmy to 3 at his breaking, but since he was "rescued" so soon, he never got past stage 4 and so couldn't reach 5 - acceptance. In a nutshell, he never fully accepted what happened to him and so got sunk into depression. That his friends indulged and tip-toed around him didn't help/possibly made it worse. It was, however, a really realistically human error, which makes it all the more tragic and thought-provoking.The editing was still egregious so stars off for that.Well, I'll admit that the very end was a nice touch. Overall, it was interesting. Well-thought out. The characterization was actually quite good and morally ambiguous in a rather realistic sort of way.Parts of it, though, I couldn't quite suspend my disbelief for. Parts that seemed like the author got a little too carried away with his world creation and started spinning more and more unlikely yarns. Still, it's good. It bears consideration, definitely, and brings up a lot of social issues. I have no idea why some people say this is a light and fluffy read because it's definitely not that.Actually, something Singer said about prices being driven it. It reminds me of the current issues in America with outsourced manufacturing jobs. I mean, it sounds all nice and stuff to promise to "bring jobs back to America," but honestly, it's not economically feasible for the same reasons listed in this book. Granted, slavery and outsourcing don't quite compare, but the implications with abolishing both - economically, at least - translate over rather interestingly.I really do want to give it a higher rating, but I feel like overall, it deserves a 3, even though it was rather good. Quite excellent, actually (in what terms though? Plot? Characterization? Maybe the base premise...)It was good in that it seemed like the author actually relating something that had actually happened. A series of real events. Decreased score because sometimes the minute execution was a little lacking.(This should feel flattered; my "future rereads" shelf used to be my favorites shelf, but now I feel the need to create a separate one because I don't feel like I'd possibly reread this for fun. Maybe if years have passed and the details grow fuzzy, but those don't count.)