Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

Pricolici - Alicia Nordwell My initial impression:11/19/12 ETAThe writing itself isn't bad, though it's a bit too unambiguous and at times meandering. It was better at some times than at others.By the time something finally happened in the beginning, I feel like Tucker had already explained 3 different ways why exactly he had to leave and all of the problems that had occurred to him, all of which somehow stem from this mysterious curse (or whatever it is that causes the insta-lust in others) of his. I mean, I get the picture and do ultimately get a more complete-feeling idea of what's going on, but it just feels like the story could have been condensed in a more chronological order and still had the same effect.A grammatical point that bothered me: the subjunctive should be used with conditional cases, so every time it says "if I/he/she was" should be "if I/he/she were." Yeah, I know a lot of people make that mistake, but further exposure to it still hasn't made me more amenable to it, so I doubt it ever will. (I'm okay with technical grammatical errors if they're there to add characterization, such as in 1st person narration or dialogue, but I feel that in 3rd person narration, more formal grammar should be used.) The subjective vs objective aspect of the narration isn't quite consistent. Sometimes the descriptions are described so impersonally that it's of the objective mode, but sometimes the author writes Tucker's thoughts (jumps into subjective). I know it's difficult to balance because I've done it before in my NaNoWriMo works, but I feel like the inconsistency also creates a sort of dissonance between disparate parts of the overall work. (Just throwing in my two cents, but I think the best bet is probably subjective, given that it is a work of fiction and, in addition, the plot lends itself to a more narrative piece.)I think most of the problems (that I had with this) stem from the lack of characterization at the very beginning (ETA: and through the middle. Maybe even to the end). I didn't really get a sense of Tucker's personality (even though it's written in 3rd person limited) so the rest of it all seemed kind of like PWP with excuse plot. It started off with too much an air of pseudo-mystery -- purposely withholding information for the sake of dramatics -- which ultimately ended up hurting the overall story because while it did create a sense of confusion within the reader, it also made the plot points seem pointless. Perhaps if we were given a bit more information at the beginning? I mean, in a sense, every author creates his/her own world every time he/she writes. This especially applies with supernatural tropes (and especially still with vampires and werewolves). Yes, there are common archetypes for each supernatural species. However, in this modern age, there's so many archetypes floating around that the author really should take time and establish which one he/she's using or what his/her "archetype" is like (aka, which parts the author's taking and leaving).There's a lot there that can be worked with, though. The idea of how human morality has influenced Daoi society is a fascinating one that I feel like should have/could have been explored further. It was an interesting aspect that not many 'supe fic books look into.It's rather over-explained. For example, "He couldn't stand Stelian; he feared him. He certainly didn't want to want him like this. It would happen at any moment. Stelian would lose control and hurt him like the others. Only this time there would be no one to help Tucker. He whimpered and then whined. His chest was too tight; he couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t make his body move. Tears filled his eyes." The panic attack made it rather evident that Tucker was terrified of Stelian. Perhaps if the first sentence were taken out and the second one reworked as "he didn't want to want him as badly as he did" or something (and keep the rest the same).Overall, it's rather good, but the wordiness slows it down a lot. (Let me just do a little lampshade hanging here and forestall any who may protest by saying this: You know that old maxim "takes one to know one"? I am one. Yes, I know I am extremely wordy, diffuse, and rather meandering. Part of this is because I can't resist commenting as I go. Another part is I write the review in parts and sometimes reorganize in the middle of the writing, which ends up being disorganized as I add more and more to the overall review. *End lampshading)(ETA actually, that wasn't really even a lampshade hanging. ...oh, well)(post-reading ETA)I rather agree with Aimee regarding the villain and, to a degree, the sexual aspect. The entire thing seemed really passive-aggressive, but that might be again written down to the lack of characterization. The random reminiscences were just that -- random. They added to the overall plot, but their timing was just so off that it broke any continuity the plot had.The writing style also was a bit weird. Part of it was the meandering, but beyond that, it was over-explicated. There were good moments, but I can't quite tell if they were blind-squirrel moments or actual moments when the author just let it all go and just wrote.All in all, probably a 2.5, rounded down for all of the comma splices (it IS okay to use a period, you know...) and awkward phrasings.ETAAh. That breastplate thing. I'd resisted this because I thought "no way it would be something this..." Well...So, apparently, Grecia is supposed to be Grecian because her name is Grecia? And Nordwell is trying to say that's she is/was an Amazon? Something like that? Is THAT what the breastplate thing was about?Okay. Let's examine this. First off: Grecia for a Grecian. That to me makes no sense. It's like having a Roman girl named Roma or an English girl named Englandia.Second off, if I remember correctly, I'm fairly certain Amazons cut off one of their breasts so as to not interfere with archery. (Quick google search: it's actually for javelin-throwing) They really didn't have any need for breastplates...Just a random miscellaneous thought, yeah...