Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

Stained Glass - Jaime Samms I think - judging by the reviews - I approached this a little differently than other people did.It was an interesting character study, I think, one that didn't seem to have a lot of unnecessary/contrived melodrama.I wasn't necessarily annoyed by any of the characters, per se, at least, not until Sofia started coming on really strong on the "psychologist knows best" schtick.I was also annoyed at everyone else's insistence on blaming pm everything on Nash. There was definitely blame all around and I rather agree with Laurie on that. I mean, I feel like maybe he comes off as codependent still just because he's had to overcompensate to get his argument heard by his friends.At the same time, I feel there's a lot of hypocrisy amongst them. It wasn't okay with Nash, but it's okay with Jeff....okay...I mean, I can see why the characters reacted as such, but it was still highly exasperating.And it sure as hell did nothing to help Laurie, especially with his confusion regarding his role in the world and even in his own life at times.That's not to say Laurie doesn't have his problems. He sure as hell do. I just feel like he's a lot more aware of them than his friends give credit for and the stress of both trying to face that down and live up to what he perceives to be their standards (which I feel may not be that far from the actuality) is what ultimately and generally leads him to self-destruct.For that reason, it was a highly annoying read.Damn fucking "friends." Argh. They got so set in their fucking schema they couldn't see anything past that. They treat Laurie the way parents typically treat their teenage kids. They're adults when it suits the parents to "delegate" responsibilities but children when the parents feel the need to reassert their dominance.And it all boils down to hubris. Goddamn hubris.In fact, his friends are probably the largest bunch of patronizing bastards who aren't antagonists I've ever encountered in literature.I think they qualify for Bitch in Sheep's Clothing.Actually, they're all over the Jerk Index, but I find that generally tends to be the case since classifications aren't quite so simple.Note:See also (in no particular order) Took a Level in Jerkass, Epiphany Therapy, Heroic BSOD, My Greatest Failure, Pet the Dog, The Love Slap of Epiphany, Badass Decay for a further sampling of the tropes featured in this...this.And Blake. Damn Blake. He was going so well until he just bought into all the fucking crap that Laurie's gaolers were spewing. I mean, I get it. It's not like he was getting much information from elsewhere. No, Blake's not actually that bad. I was just taking it out on him because the way he initially presented his case made it seem like he bought into the whole Jeff-worship business.Because that's what they're doing, you know. They've set up Jeff as their deity and Laurie as the virgin sacrifice.......well... Ceremonial sacrifice, then.It's like they're trying to force Laurie to be/become codependent on Jeff. And then they brought in yaoi tropes and didn't even have the courtesy to manga in general of labelling that swill as yaoi...I mean it so much. Indeed. I'm bursting with sincerity. Can't you tell?I couldn't even get upset by the neat series of little deus ex machinas (and various other tropes listed above that I can't be bothered to reiterate here) because by then, I was But then I still had an excruciating 15% to get through. With some more deus ex machinas and Epiphany Therapy.Aaaand here is a sampling of the psych tropes:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmchairPsychologya bit of this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodPsychsome of this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManufacturingVictimssupposed this that I suppose you can say they lampshade http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveMakesYouCrazyhttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OutDamnedSpotseems like they tried for this, but it wasn't because Laurie really is a whole lot more self-aware than his castellans gave credit for http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlaceboEurekaMoment http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SanityStrengtheninghttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InducedHypochondriabecause I can't be bothered to format the html of all of theseI think this warrants the gif again.but looking at all these tropes has cheered me up a bit.On the matter of safewords...I don't pretend to know a whole much cuz I've never been active/a part of any BDSM scene, but a book I read once brought up what I thought to be a very good point.Isn't "piccadilly" kind of a shitty safeword? I mean, it's got 4 fucking syllables so it's not something you can just, you know, spit out then in a hurry. Samesies with "Nash Winter."And oh my Korean Jesus if Lil' Jeffy ain't trah'yin' too haahd.I find that when I get especially sarcastic/condescending, I start thinking in a Southern accent. It's an interesting phenomenon. Must more interesting than this scene going on right now between Jeff and Laurie. And All Subs Are Referred to by Full Name. Always. It's the first rule of Domming.Thou Shall Refer to Thy Sub by xer Full Name.because Hollywood logic.I was unamused.That being said, this is where I qualify the second star with this:"No book was so bad, but some good might be got out of it." -Pliny the ElderActually, the ending so annoyed me I almost eschewed the second star, but the cover's kind of okay (not as tacky as some. but then, my standards may have been artificially lowered...) and I rather liked-ish the beginning sometimes...The kill-it-with-fire refers more to my regards toward the Jeff-cult than the book. The writing itself is rather good, I think, although there were a couple of convoluted-comma incidents...Argh. Look what you did. You made me create a new shelf. Now I'm going to feel the need to sift through all my books so I can shelf accordingly...