Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

The Pawn - Kate Sherwood The futuristic stuff is weird. I know I'm not one to judge someone else's universe or their interpretation, per se, but it just Seems...incomplete.Like the author didn't quite commit to it. Either that or went in a weird direction.Of course, now that line from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead comes back to me ("Audiences know what to expect, and that is all they are prepared to believe in.") so I don't know if my argument is valid at all. But then, you know what, I'm part of the illogical audience known as humanity, so I object. I think it's all "retro" stuff. It's weird that they would keep referring to things that exist now like that. Makes it feel like the author arbitrarily decided to make it "futuristic" because xe either didn't want to research what does and doesn't exist now or wanted some gimmicky way to explain away certain elements the author wanted to magically include somehow.That's probably why it feels like the author didn't really commit to xer world. It makes it feel like the author's almost apologetic about it.I didn't have as much issue with the tablet thing because that's the direction most people seem to think technology is going in, especially as, in our world, tablets are growing in processing power and capabilities and such. Me, I can't quite picture "typing" on a tablet. I like the feel of the pressure of the keys so I know when I'm actually typing and when I'm not. It makes me feel like I'm not typing gibberish.There are a couple of times when the phrasing's really...weird...Remy's insight was interesting/weird. It was kind of cool because you could see the effects of the whole thing on his psyche, but it was subtle and well-worked.Something I totally didn't even pay much attention to - I'd get little jolts of "huh?" when I encountered it, but never really thought much of - was the depths of how much the objectification affected Remy's mindset. He's constantly referring to himself by his body, but you really don't start noticing until way late because it's done so subtly. It adds such another amazing layer to the characterization of the characters and the universe the author creates. Bravo.Until the random "I will fight with you" moment.That was Marius moment if ever I've seen one.But then it goes right back to the previous mindset, which is a bit weird, but makes sense.The whole thing was ironic because while I had some knee-jerk issues with Remy and his pill-flushing scene, that ultimately ended up not bothering me so much.It was nice/interesting because Remy didn't seem like a dysfuncional small child. So often with this character type the narration comes off sounding like we're dealing with a terrified child. You know, between the cringing and groveling and sniveling and sobbing and all that. ...that came out harsher than I meant for it to. Argh, I can't think of any other way to describe it. I mean, I know regression is considered a perfectly viable defense mechanism, but it just...well, can get annoying.Remy actually felt like an adult. An adult with a certain set of trained responses, yes, but still an adult (as opposed to a traumatized teenager).But then...maybe I just haven't been paying attention to the ages of other characters and they actually ARE teenagers... *shrugActually, the way Remy referred to himself was an interesting point, also. I liked the way it was lampshaded. I also liked that it was lampshaded at all. It would have been extremely weird if Challanor hadn't picked up on so obvious a nuance that.Remy's insight on during the whole drug use era was interesting, too. I liked the way the author explored his mindset.I didn't have much issues with the "goddamn virus implanted in the mother ship". But then, I knew it was coming.Actually, Emma, if you read this, I didn't have issues with Remy's apparently Heel Face Turn because to me it seemed more like he was transferring his...allegiance?...codependency?...whatever...to Challoner. So, in a sense, Challanor went from simply "a client" to basically "The Master," for want of better terms.I mean, for all that he seems to bear enmity towards Challoner, that mostly just stems from him not knowing waht to do to please him.The moment towards the end-ish when Challoner and Remy are talking and Chal (too lazy) asks Remy why he would want him...That was poignant.It was beautiful because it tugs at your heartstrings but wasn't a sappy "*wide-eyed wonder* ...l-love...? *shy glance* Will you teach me what that's like?" moment.I mean, it was very clear that Remy never really enjoyed sex and that he didn't really seem to understand that it could be (for him?) if...idk, if the other person cares. I mean, I'm sure he intellectually "got it" (why else would he have clients?) but it's the sort of thing you "get" like you "get" that poor people don't have much and probably have to go hungry for want. It's the kind of "I get it" that you know but don't really understand/contemplate the implications of until some sort of related event slams into you like a proverbial train.Actually, his confession got me thinking and now I'm wondering if he's actually asexual instead of just unschooled (in the arts of looove ~melodramatic fake swoon).But no, seriously, Remy's interesting because he doesn't seem to have experienced love or lust. Usually these characters have experienced at least lust. It's an interesting take.One point of concern: the orgasm pills.Now, when they say "behind the molars," they mean between the molar and the cheeck, right? They don't ACTUALLY mean "behind the molars." They can't; there's no way you can physiologically lodge a pill there and not accidentally swallow it when you try to talk/open your mouth.But then...if it's against the cheek, wouldn't it cause a bulge? Unless it's not large...Ah, conundrums...But anyways. As the revolution starts spreading, it starts getting...dare I say stupid?Ridiculous, at the very least.That's when it started getting weird.I mean, Remy magically develops a self identity, people are suddenly willing to jump on the potential-suicide-boat, things start getting pedestrian...all sorts of shit.Did I forget anything? Oh, yeah. How could I have forgotten?Remy starts to develop Loooooove~Like magic.Remy's complete personality makeover was annoyingly instantaneous. I mean, up until that "spread the word!" point, it was quite good.The last 10% was extremely stupid.See Emma's review for more information.(It cost it its "magnum opus" status. And it's >3 star rating. Sheesh.)Makes me wonder...did the author run out of time, had to race the deadline or something (the way Rowling did)?You know what the author needs?What do you mean, you "don't know how to end this"?So you're just giving up? You're just going to throw in some token deus ex machina and then make your readers wait for book two?No! That is not what you do!ETA:I also am definitely NOT enamored of the cover.