Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

Making Promises - Amy Lane I'm offended they misused the term "psychopath." I believe what they were searching for was "sociopath," as Shane is socially awkward and NOT on the verge of a mass killing spree. There's a lot of character confusion in Chap 1. There are all these people and for some reason, it took me an absurd amount of time to figure out who's who. It was like listening to myself trying to introduce someone when I'm at my most sleep-deprived. It would start with one person, but then go off on some anecdotal tangent about that person, which would bring in other people, but they're those people who haven't quite been introduced yet so you have no idea what's going on, and then there's the quick sneak-attack intros ("Oh, this is ___, by the way.") before moving on the next segment, and then, of course, other tangents need to be addressed, and so forth. In then end, you've got a bunch of information with very little context, so it all amounts to zilch anyways.Then again, this is bk2. Maybe I'd have to read bk 1 to figure out who all these obscure people are.Shane annoys me because he's weird and he knows he's weird, but he also doesn't want to be, but he doesn't know how to be. The best he thinks he can settle for by way of human connection is pity, which means he plays up points that I don't even know if completely bother him.Then again, I could just be projecting.Nah, there's a pity party going on.And damn. What the hell is going on? I think I really need to read bk 1, since I have no idea what's going on. How did he get "suicide by cop" from what Shane told him? Is Jeff a jackass?None of Jeff's rant made sense. At all. Isn't he gay? If so, how is that a problem? Wouldn't it make sense that Shane wasn't expecting a gay-bashing from Jeff?NONE OF IT MAKES SENSE. I feel like I came in smack dab in the middle of a story and...What the fuck is going on?Nothing makes sense. Not even the beginning part. *sighThis isn't a companion piece, is it?Either way, I've confirmed that Shane does indeed want pity (why else mention his missing spleen in front of a stranger if he's actually trying to play it down? Because he's not. He's trying to play it up while looking like he's playing it down. Hence, the forced nonchalance.)I really thought he was going to end up with Brandon. But I guess they were just using that as...I don't even know.Oookay. DNF. Maybe I'll come back to this one day. Idk, though, since bk1 seems to have not-so-great reviews and I didn't exactly like this one this time around.