Ayanna

Reader's Discretion Advised

...this confuses me. So...it's like tumblr...for books?

Unhinge the Universe

Unhinge the Universe - Aleksandr Voinov, L.A. Witt The parts without sex actually reminded me of other WWII thrillers I've read. I know it sounds kind of disparaging, like "Hey. I can't believe it actually seemed real" but you have to admit that a lot of the time, M/M seems to be more along the lines of "screw the rules, especially if they don't lead to actual screwing." Although the authors are Voinov and Witt, so I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised.The only things that made me pause and wonder were the erection-related slang. Kind of made me wonder if peeps back in the day said stuff like "hard-on" and whatnot.I mean, the only real sex-related slang I know from that era is condom=French letter, so it's not like I'm an authority on the matter.It just kind of made me wonder.The sex was just pure M/M everyday-stuff.It started dragging on and on during the transport. I got to a point where I just wanted it over with since it was all listed in the blurb anyways. I mean, I guess, yeah. It's transport. How do you make transport exciting? Throw in some sex.But I generally compartmentalize sex as a "not part of the narration" thing and this didn't really do much to change that (although it is more than a little weird for me when authors try to make sex vital...like those "sexual healing" ones or the sex magic ones or...the I don't even know...other ones...).Actually, not really. Maybe I just got into the story more or I somehow subtly adjusted my mentality, but after the awkward barn scene, the sex wasn't bad, I guess.Words cannot describe how blown my mind was when I realized the Michael person was the lover person mentioned in the blurb. For some reason, I was under the impression he was killed a while before the narration began. Got run over by a tank or something.I had a literal freak-out OMG OMG OMG IT'S HIM. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S HIM. moment...s...(I swear. It didn't last longer than 5 minutes...probably) when I made the connection. The mention of Monopoly threw me, but idk when that game was created, so w/e.I do wonder, though, about how the post-war stuff was handled. I mean, how young was Hagen? It doesn't feel like we're given much indication. For some reason, I kept thinking he was really, really young.I mean, it wasn't bad, but I couldn't help but wonder about PTSD, so reading about the floofy reunion and lightness and sex was weird.The ending was really abrupt. It just kind of...cut off. I kept scrolling through and back, staring at that one blank page, trying to figure out if there was actually a little more and for some reason my version glitched or if it really just ended there.Overall...Hmm...3.5I can't really decide to round down or up. Parts of it were cool. Parts of it were quite great.Other parts were more meh. Hmm...I'm sorry. I'm going to have to go with down. Perhaps the romance-y bits were just a tad too farcical for me, given the context...